Thursday, August 11, 2011

News and Noteworthies

Alright, tons to update you guys on. First of all, let me start off with a picture of me in my Fun Wheel / Swings costume, because I promised this a long time ago and never delivered.

That is my beautiful, uncomfortable costume. When it gets really hot we're allowed to take our tie off and unbutton the vest, but otherwise you're stuck in there. Oh and those awkward pant things - trust me, they don't look flattering on a single soul.

Blended Learning Series class has been going well. A couple weeks ago, our homework had to do with the Windows on Main Street. All of the windows are dedicated to legendary Disney employees, but they are disguised like actual shop/business names - but the businesses had something to do with what the person did in the company. We had to make our own window with our inscription, as well as explain what our legacy would be. We were allowed to just write it out on paper, or we could get creative with it.

As with every aspect of my life, I opted for the creative option. I bought a $4 glass frame at Michael's and used sharpie to write the inscription. Instead of putting a photo in the frame, I printed out a picture of lacy curtains to make it look more window-ish. It says "Wise Weddings" because Wise is my last name and because (at this moment in time) where I really want to go in the company is their Fairytale Weddings department.




It looks a little bit cooler in person...
ANYWAYS.
Today was probably the most stressful day for me of the program. Why? Because today I started training for California Screamin' (the huge roller coaster in DCA). Honestly, if Screamin' was the first attraction I was trained at, I probably would've quit. But now that I am a little better at handling guests and shouting into crowds, I'm slightly better equipped for this attraction.

It took me three days to be trained at two attractions - Fun Wheel and Swings. The training for Screamin' is FOUR long days. I had a training buddy, but it didn't make me feel much better because he is a lead at Grizzly and has been here for three years, so he already knew most of the people and he picked things up way faster than me... For opening procedures, we had to hike allllllll the way up to Zone 4 of the track - that's the very top of the second huge hill.

My legs feel like jelly.

Learning this attraction made me realize what a piece of cake the Swings and Fun Wheel are. Yeah, Swings can be annoying at times, but at least i wasn't so overwhelmed there during my training that I wanted to cry a little... It will get better though, I hope. It's a LOT to take in, but I think with enough practice I will get it down...

Too bad it's going down next month for six weeks of refurbishment.


Oh well, at least the costume is slightly cuter. AND more breathable.


Probably the most exciting news is: starting on Saturday the rest of the Fall College Program people show up! Everyone who is staying in the Disney housing will now be here with us, and our program can REALLY begin. The last three months have felt more like a prologue to the program; the Spring program people were still here, so all of our emails about CP events were directed toward their program. Now that the Fall people are here, we can start going to all the awesome things that are planned for us!


So with the rest of this blog, I just want to share some tips/advice with all of you incoming cast members! (as well as answer questions I have been asked). I'll start with the Q & A:

Are there times before or after the parks close when you can go on a ride with no line?
Hmmm, if you mean WHILE you're working, it really just depends. Other than during your Guest Interaction Training (it's one of your first days of training, and it's the best because you get to go on a ton of rides that day), if you're not in Attractions, you probably won't get to go on rides during your shift. Then, even if you ARE attractions, it really just depends on how cool your Lead is. The other night my closing lead let me go on the swings with all the guests because it was the last ride of the night before we closed it down. Today at Screamin' my trainer let us go on the ride to "show check" it before the park opened. It was really weird because it was just the three of us, there was no screaming, there were no sounds in the park because it wasn't open yet.... It was kind of awkward. But awesome. But I'm pretty sure that was like a one time thing. So far, both attractions I've worked close early for World of Color, so when we cut the line off around 8pm, that's it. The last people in that line are the last people going on the ride.

I'm interested to know if it works the same way at the attractions in Disneyland. From what I've heard about things over there, they probably get to go on their rides even less than we do...

If you close, are there any buses running that late?
I'm pretty sure the bus line runs until about 2am, but the area around the bus stop is kinda sketch, so I would recommend saying on your preferance sheet that you don't want to get out past a certain time.

Rudest/funniest guest stories :D
Oh man, I could go on and on with that one. I'm writing them all down so at the end of the program I can write one big blog post with all my favorite stories :)

Is there job advancement in the cp?
While you're in the program, you are basically locked in your department. However, there are lots of opportunities available for you to cross-utilize. For example, they just had auditions for Youth Facilitators - those are cast members who conduct educational tours/learning programs for schools that come to the park on field trips. You'd probably only have one of these shifts a week, but you'd get $13 an hour for it. Just keep your eyes open for opportunities like this - always check the hub, and even with your Lead - a lot of them will know. There are also networking opportunities available to all cast members - look out for these kind of events as well. As for advancing within your department, one of my Leads started off in the College Program a couple years ago and at the very end of it, they promoted her to Trainer status. Work hard, try not to get any points, and doors will open for you.

What are some random things most people overlook when packing for the apartments that we will need?
Hmm, well I'm not in housing so I'm not really sure. BUT some things that a lot of people might overlook are umbrellas (it's gonna get rainy this winter), an alarm clock, notebooks with paper (for your classes!), plenty of those white socks! (or black, depending on your area), medicine (lots of germs at Disneyland...), carrying case for your toiletries, bottle opener, DUCT TAPE (you never know when you might need it...)

Does Disney regulate how high your socks must be if your costume has a shorts option?
Yes! They must be at least to the ankle bone, but no higher than mid-calf.

Does Disney still provide undies?
Haha nope, maybe in the Entertainment department, but for the rest of us - we are supplying our own undergarments.

Explain the whole point system pleaseeee
In all honesty, I'm not entirely sure about it... which is why I've made sure to not get ANY points (which I'm rather proud of lol). From what I understand, if you get to 24 points within 4 months (6 months?) you get terminated. I think at certain times of the year or after a certain amount of months, your points start to drop off. As for getting those points: If you are late, it's 1.5 points. Even if you're only late by one minute. If you call out sick or personal, it's 3 points. A word of advice - if you call out, say you're sick. Calling out sick, you get three days off and only 3 points. Calling out personal, you still get 3 points but only one day off.

BUT if you want to stay on with the company, I would suggest keeping your record as clear as possible. This allows you to transfer/move-up faster.

As if this blog post wasn't already long enough, I want to end it with some tips for all of you guys coming in:



  • If you are driving to work, give yourself plenty of time to find parking in the Katella cast member lot. If your shift is before noon, you should be fine. But later in the day, you might have to drive around for 15-20 minutes looking for a spot.

  • When you go to the costuming department to get your costume, it can be a little overwhelming. Don't be afraid to ask the cast members working there for help! Trust me, the sizes are weird (my Fun Wheel shirt is a size 10, but my Screamin' shirt is a size 4??), you might not know all the pieces you need (bow ties, belts, etc.) - they can help you! Most of them are friendly and willing to assist you in finding your correct size. :)

  • Seniority counts for a LOT at Disney. Don't let it intimidate you when someone has been here a lot longer than you. Just because they've been here for years and years doesn't mean everything they do is correct. If anything, the people that I've seen who have worked in the same department for a super long time - most of them have lost their spark/magic... =/

  • If you plan on staying after the program, apply for EVERYTHING you can. Once the program is over, your seniority is gone, and possibly your hours too. The more things you've applied for while you have that seniority, the more things you have to fall back on when the program ends.

  • Don't jeopardize your entire career with Disney by getting kicked out for underage drinking in your apartment... Just don't take that risk.

  • During the program, take advantage of all the great opportunities they provide us with! This is a once in a lifetime chance to have an amazing experience - make the most of it!

  • Don't Disney yourself out! I'm sure the first couple weeks you're going to want to go play in the parks on your days off... But after you start pulling 8 hour shifts, 6 days a week, you're not going to want to go there on your only day off. There's lots of other cool things to do down here (feel free to ask me anytime!), or you may just want to give your poor feet a break at home.

  • Finally, and this is a big one: Don't be disappointed if you don't get the attraction/land/park you wanted. Because I promise you, there will be benefits to your role that you may not realize at first. I was super bummed out when I saw "Paradise Pier" on my paper. I wanted to be in Disneyland. But now I'm really glad to be in DCA - better hours, more relaxed people/leads, etc. And this way I still actually WANT to go to Disneyland on my free days. If I was working over there, it might lose some of that magical feeling.

    I'm SO excited to meet you all, and I really truly hope this is an amazing experience for every last one of you! See ya real soon ;)

1 comment:

  1. LOVED this most recent blog, albeit somewhat lengthy! Hope and pray everything goes well for you at "THE HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH"!!!

    Love, Gamma

    ReplyDelete