Saturday, May 14, 2011

TRADITIONS!

So somehow I managed to get up at 6:30 am to be at Traditions by 7:30 - it's a miracle, I know. But I was so stoked that I wasn't even sleepy at all! (until about 1:00 pm when I completely crashed) To summarize the day, after signing in that we were there (so we could get paid for our time!) we went to an auditorium in the TDA building, which is where we spent most of our 8 hour day. It looked something like this:

Basically our four trainers showed us video clips, had us play a few games, and did a LOT of slideshows about what it means to be a Disney employee (WE CREATE HAPPINESS!!). We learned about the Four Keys of Disneyland (Safety, Courtesy, Show, Efficiency), as well as the past, present, and future of Disney. Hey, if you want to pay me to learn about one of my favorite subjects, that's fine with me! =)

The best part was when we took a one hour tour of Disneyland, going both onstage and backstage (for those that don't know, onstage is what we call any area where the guests can see you). It was funny watching the guests trying to figure out who this huge group of nicely dressed individuals was, we must've looked very important - and we are! ;) Then we got a lunch break. We ate at the TDA cafeteria, which had some pretty good food and wasn't too expensive. After a few more skits and slideshows in the auditorium, we were visited by a very
special guest who brought us these...

Oh! But one of the most important things today was the white piece of paper they gave us first thing in the morning when we signed in. Why you ask? BECAUSE it tells you what area you are working in! Which is how I found out I'm going to be working attractions in Paradise Pier in Disney California Adventure Park. At first I was like " awww :( " especially when the girl next to me got New Orleans Square/Critter Country and a guy I talked to got Fantasyland. But then I thought about it more, and now I don't think it's such a bad thing. Let's talk about why:

  • My hours won't be as crazy as if I were in the main DL park. DCA usually opens an hour or two later, and closes two hours earlier. No SUPER super early mornings :) Maybe.

  • It's very scenic! No one can deny that the view is lovely.

  • At night, all the PP rides close down early for World of Color, which I would be doing guest control for. Once the show starts, you basically get to hang out and watch it! (I'm sure the music will get really old though...)

  • There are three cast member cafeterias on the Disneyland property. The only one in DCA is located backstage of Paradise Pier, so it will be super convenient for my lunches.

  • As long as I don't get the Zephyrs or Jumpin' Jellyfish (which have ugly Hawaiian shirts) , my costume isn't too bad. In fact, I think they are kind of cute.

  • I might have gotten Toy Storia Midway Mania.

  • I MIGHT HAVE GOTTEN THE NEW LITTLE MERMAID RIDE.



No matter what attraction I got, I'm super excited for tomorrow! I have to be at the TDA building at 8:30 am for our division-specific welcome orientation (I'm part of park operations). Oh and I forgot the best part...

TOMORROW IS OPENING DAY FOR THE NEW STAR TOURS AND I'M GOING ON IT!!! Thanks to my awesome friend Claudia!! Seriously stoked.

3 comments:

  1. We're SO EXCITED for you, sweetheart. And, YES! Dreams DO come true! YOURS DID!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You forgot to mention that if you work Screamin' you can be entertained by all the sick and scared people coming off it... oh wait, that wouldn't be creating happiness. Forget I said anything. Can't wait to see you in your uniform!!

    ReplyDelete