Time to play catch up! I'll start with Friday:
I had my FIRST post-training shift, and it was actually really easy. Probably because it was only four hours long and they only put me at the "Greeter" position for most of my shift. We shut the fun wheel and swings down for World of Color, so I got to just watch WoC from up high by the swings. It was an interesting view! I had my first disgruntled guest encounter - he was REALLY angry that the ferris wheel shut down early... my bad?
Saturday was another four hour shift, but I went through a full rotation of every position on both the swings and fun wheel, and for the most part I was incident free! ;) I no longer feel really nervous going into work!
Today... well, today was blah. I worked an 8.5 hour World of Color fastpass distribution shift. Picture this: it's 9:25 am at DCA, the park is going to be opened in 5 minutes for a crowd of guests eager to get their World of Color fastpasses. The main walkway into the park is completely empty, except for ME - a new hire about to start my third day without a trainer - stationed there to tell people not to run and to answer questions.
9:30 am, the gates are opened and a FLOOD of people enter the park all at once, all of them running. I'm YELLING at the top of my lungs, making EYE-CONTACT with people running, telling them to PLEASE WALK, NO RUNNING!!! And still they run. It was terrifying, I've never felt so small in my life.
After the initial wave of intense families, the rest of the guests sauntered in, and many of them came to ME, the only visible employee, with tons of questions. Where is a good place to get breakfast? Where is the character dining at? How tall do you have to be to ride this? What's World of Color? How do you get to Midway Mania?
And I answered them ALL. Seriously, I should be in Guest Relations or something.
The rest of the day was incredibly boring and stressful to my vocal chords. I literally stood next to the WoC fastpass machine all day, taking people's tickets and exchanging them for passes, then giving the same spiel of information over and over... Luckily, tomorrow I'm back at Swings/Fun Wheel!
You're doing just GREAT, sweetie! You'll be DCA pro in no time at all! G & G
ReplyDelete